The Healing Tree Project's Mission
It's Simple: We seek to equip people with skills, a tool kit, to find more Balance and Happiness in Life.
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a skill set which, when regularly practiced, allows us to hold and employ our attention in the present moment more skillfully. Mindfulness is a state of regulated attention trained on immediate, present moment experience with an orientation of curiosity, openness and acceptance, regardless of the pleasant or unpleasant nature of the experience. Mindfulness training teaches us to be keenly aware of the present moment, acknowledging and accepting the realities of the moment, without getting inextricably tangled in unhelpful thoughts, reactions, judgments, criticisms or evaluations. Mindfulness allows us to experience what is going on around us and within us, as it is happening, without resistance or paralysis.
What Are the Proven Benefits of Mindfulness?
Mindfulness improves and cultivates emotional intelligence and self-awareness. It improves our capacity to more effectively cope with challenging and distressing emotional situations. It also:
- Improves our ability to focus, pay attention and tune out distractions whether we are 7 or 97!
- Improves memory and executive attention skills and promotes rational decision-making.
- Cultivates Compassion, Altruism and Self-Compassion
- Supports well-being and happiness in relationships
- Changes structures in the brain associated with learning, empathy, self-awareness, body awareness and emotional regulation.
- Boosts our immune systems
- Lessens depression and anxiety
- Encourages healthy eating and helps people lose weight
- Reduces symptoms associated with PTSD
- Increases positive emotions, decreases negative ones & reduces stress
- Supports healthcare providers to cope with job stress & burnout and to connect with patients, improving job satisfaction and well-being
- Improves our parenting skills and “parenting-job satisfaction”