We have gathered a few meditation aids and suggested readings that may help you to begin a simple meditation practice.
It takes 21 days to form a habit. A short sit every day is a really good habit in furtherance of taking good care of your emotional well-being, managing stress and preserving and improving your health. So, maybe you could aim for three days in a row and then another three more and then another three after that and so on and so forth! As they say, there is only one way to eat an elephant- one bite at a time!
Websites and Apps
- Insight Timer- Meditation App (the one with a bowl floating in the sky). This is our favorite of the the free guided mediation apps. It has meditations of differing lengths and voices. This app also has a very easy timer with bells, if you’d like to meditate without guidance.
- Guided Mind App: This app has free guided meditations and also meditations that you can purchase.
- The Mindfulness App (costs $1.99) This app has guided meditation and silent meditation with bells. There are also free nature soundscape pieces for listening while meditating without guidance that you might like to try.
- Headspace App - 10 Minutes a Day guided meditation for 10 Days Program for free. There is a boatload of content in this app. It may be a bit much as a start but the guidance is good and grounded and not breathy.
- Free Guided Meditations: Click here for MCLA's page for guided mediation.
- Breathing Zone App: Useful to help encourage you to stop and breathe!
A Heart Full of Peace by Joseph Goldstein
After the Ecstasy, the Laundry by Jack Kornfield
Being Peace by Thich Nhat Hanh
Emotional Awareness by The Dalai Lama & Paul Ekman, PhD.
Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence by Daniel Goleman
Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn
Fully Present by Diana Winston
The Kindness Handbook by Sharon Salzberg
Nothing Special: Living Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck
Mindfulness in Plain English by Jenepola Gunarantana
The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh
Everyday Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck
The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine, M.D.
The Male Brain by Louann Brizendine, M.D.
When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron
Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind by Shunryu Suzuki